Friday, February 13, 2009

Ben's Jukebox.



Some of my friends may recall my occasional e-mail missive "Song of the Moment." In the interest of being interesting to a wide range of people I'm taking it public. With video. And yes, that is my stereo above. Just imagine you're sitting on the rug with the dog and and enjoy.

I've been insanely busy this week (editing video, natch) so I haven't had time to go out and enjoy the spring-like weather that has settled into the southeast this week, but I've been watching it wistfully through my office window and humming this song to myself.

While much of Gillian Welch's music can be grand and expansive, to me she's always at her best with songs that remind me of sitting on the edge of the bed and singing to a pet. This song exemplifies that in so many ways, in the space of 2 minutes and change she tells a tale of a long winter alone and broke and the high expectations that accompany the first warm weather.

"Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer by this sun..." - Wm Shakespeare