Friday, February 6, 2009

Screen time.

The role of "mug" is played by itself.


I have yet to achieve the pinnacle of one of my artist peers who was overjoyed to see one of her works in the background of a Law & Order episode, but I have had the small joy of coming across my own work appearing in film.

Above is still from The Four Children of Tander Welch a film made in my adoptive hometown of Columbia, South Carolina and starring Mackenzie Astin with a small guest appearance by Patty Duke (who interestingly enough is both Mackenzie's mother in real life and the movie). That mug you see in front of the family photos (which I'm told are actually of Mackenzie and his mother) is one of mine.

It's one of my early swirlware mugs, back when I still salt-fired my work at the university, and was probably bought at one of the art sales the USC art department would hold in the holiday season. There's a blog post somewhere in here about how I taught myself to make swirlware, but that's for another time.

My good friend Anna Redwine's art (and her fingers in the opening sequence) hold far more of a starring role in the movie, which is why I watched it in the first place, but coming across my mug in a brief cameo was a pleasant surprise. And thanks to the magic of digital TV, I was able to grab a still from this film when it reaired to record for posterity. Let's see it up close, shall we?

Ready for a closeup.